My Very Own Book!!
Research shows that reading just 5 books over the summer can prevent summer learning loss and children who have easy access to books read more books. According to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, “Students read more when they can choose materials based on their own interests. Self-selection, access to books, and sharing books are essential factors in reading motivation."
How Can You Help?
Volunteers are needed to help young readers select a book to take home each Thursday at the end of the Coralville Summer Lunch Program from 12:15-1:00. There is also an opportunity to read books with interested children during this time. You will be providing an invaluable experience to a child by assisting with book selection and an invitation to read.
- Dates: June 8th - August 10th
- Time: 12:15pm -1:00pm Book distribution and reading
- Day: Thursday
- Location: Shelter at S.T. Morrison Park, Coralville
- Attendees: 50-60 Youth K-6
- Volunteers: Minimum of 5 volunteers needed each Thursday to help children select books and offer reading time
If you are interested in volunteering for this great opportunity, please complete the volunteer sign-up below!!