There’s a place for everyone to volunteer and make a difference!
Welcome to United Way's 55+ Retired & Senior Volunteer Program or 55+ RSVP.
People 55 and better are encouraged to get involved using their lifetime of experience to reach out and help others. Individual abilities and interests are matched with community volunteer needs.
People from ALL walks of life. If you are 55 years of age or better and wishing to make an impact on the community then United Way 55+ RSVP is your resource to finding that fulfilling and interesting volunteer opportunity. The Program serves Johnson, Des Moines, Muscatine and Washington Counties.
55+ RSVP PROGRAMS
Reading Buddies / Medical Transportation / Pen Pals / Special Projects
Our Community Partners are public agencies, organizations, non-profit organizations and proprietary health-care agencies. We provide volunteers both on an ongoing basis and for special events and needs to our partners. Our volunteers assist our partners in multiple ways, including working in food pantries, delivering meals, becoming Literacy Volunteers, driving for our Medical Transportation Program, as well as mailings, clerical assistance and many more opportunities.
Why join the United Way 55+ RSVP Program?
- Get to know people in the community you might not otherwise meet
- Get help finding volunteer opportunities that suit your interests and schedule
- Gain an increase in health benefits - sense of purpose and fulfillment, self-confidence; reduce stress levels and risk of depression
- Keep updated on volunteer events and other news in a monthly newsletter
- Training from the organization where you serve
- Receive FREE supplemental insurance while volunteering including excess accidental medical coverage, personal liability and excess auto liability
- Make an impact in the community
- Social, Educational & Recognition events throughout the year
- New benefits are added regularly
MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM
The 55+ RSVP Medical Transportation Program provides rides for seniors and disabled adults who have no other means of getting to medical appointments. Without this transportation, many would not access vitally needed medical services, especially in the rural areas of our communities.
Complete one-hour training, at no cost
Drive client to a medical appointment
Maintain a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
- Provide a meaningful experience for the driver, as well as the client
- Become a necessary link between the clients and their health care provider
- Provide assistance to seniors and disabled adults of any age that helps to keep them safe and independent in their own homes
- Mileage reimbursement available
**A National Sex Offender Registry Check is required to volunteer**
A Volunteer Station is a public agency, private nonprofit organization, or proprietary health-care agency or organization that accepts the responsibility for assignment and supervision of 55+ RSVP volunteers.
Interested in becoming an RSVP Station?
55+ RSVP members are stationed at Volunteer Stations throughout Johnson, Des Moines and Muscatine Counties. These stations are places where 55+ RSVP volunteers commit their time and talents.
- Volunteer Station Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- Volunteer Station Handbook
- Volunteer Station Time Sheet
- Volunteer Position Description Template
Current United Way 55+ RSVP Stations: COMING SOON!
The 55+ Initiative of United Way of Johnson & Washington Counties is a partnership with AmeriCorps Seniors through the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program.